Sunday, February 24, 2008

HAPPY, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY RACHEL DEAR!!

On my birthday, Rachel created a really sweet blog shrine. This is the link. Well, one week ago, Rachel had her birthday and due to some technical difficulties (pulling pictures out of the photobooks and sending them to work with hubby where the scanner is), ok, pure laziness, it has taken me one week to post my little birthday blog shrine to Rachel.

Rachel's family moved into the neighborhood when we were about 3 -- that is 1974/1975 folks. We were fast friends and played well together aside from the fact that I was a complete bossy bessy and certified nosy nelly (hubby would argue that hasn't changed much). Rachel was so patient with me. We walked to Primary together, ran through the sprinklers together and spent hours gazing at the stars during the hundreds of sleep-overs we had.

With the cadre of folks at my father's funeral in early June of 1983, I only really remember seeing Rachel in her Sunday best walking across the lawn of the church and felt so honored she took time out of that nice summer day to pay her respects to my father and show her support for me.

I was always amazed with Rachel's ability to be so honest in all situations. It was not always fun because I couldn't get her to misbehave with me (you know, misery loves company), but she was a great example to me (and still is).

(Kindergarten in 1977, Rosemary's Birthday in 1980, and sitting on Santa's lap at a ward party in 1981)


Rachel and I survived junior high and high school although we didn't see each other too much; I had orchestra nerds to hang with and Rachel and a big slick boyfriend at a neighboring high school. I had a picture of us at a high school Valentine's dance with that little boy and my current crush of the month, but those blokes are old news and thankfully we have the hubbies we have now!!

Rachel served a mission first and it was through her example that I found strength to serve one myself. Rachel was there when I went through the Temple for the first time in February of 1995.

Rachel was the maid of honor at my wedding on May 30, 1998 and I found some cute pictures of her with her then hunky boyfriend, now hunky hubby, Christain.



Thanks, Rach. Please don't think my inability to get this completed in time for your birthday is any reflection on my feelings for you. You are wonderful and I am, well, a daft dolt. You have always been a good example to me and I feel very blessed to be counted as one of your friends. You have a beautiful family and our family looks forward to another reunion at your house this summer!



Hope you are having a great year so far as forty minus four!

I love ya!