Friday, February 29, 2008

Kids...

Every few months a email lands in my inbox recounting some adorable thing some children have said. You have to wonder how much of it is embellished, if not entirely fabricated. I'm so cynical -- I even try to see the "photoshopping" in the adorable babies with puppies email! Well, yesterday I had one of those great experiences that remind me how great kids are that they do, indeed, say the darnedest things.

Two of the hand fulls of kids I cross in the crosswalk each day are brother and sister each with shiny chestnut hair, deep brown eyes and rosy cheeks. It is evident their parents love them in every respect. The little guy is a runner. Everyday, he is the first to reach the crosswalk. I see him running full speed down the winding "s" curve toward me with his wheel-clad backpack bouncing up and down, twisting in the air behind him. I have to be careful and not engage him in conversation while he's crossing as he's known to just stop and jibber jabber about anything from his last vacation to his latest art project right in the mid-cross with cars awaiting him. (Hurry, hurry, I'm thinking while smiling to the cars patiently waiting).

Lately he's been running home, going into the house and running back out across the street, up the "s" curve to go help his sister with her bag. I thought that was really sweet. Finally, yesterday, I said, "what a nice brother you are!"

Then, jokingly, I inquired to his sister, "how much do you pay him." Unexpectedly, this little guy pipes up, "She doesn't pay me, my mom does!"

Maybe you can't buy love, but I guess you can buy chivalry!


In an unrelated exchange, my six year-old neighbor informed me in hushed tones two days ago that there's really no such thing as magic.

Dang!