Some notes on Little Man & Tiny Toes for family members west of the 100th meridian and beloved friends.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Skate Night
Last night was skate night. Big D and Little Man played air hockey while I tried to teach Tiny Toes to skate. I am in my element skating -- fun stuff. I've never skated as a "mom" -- needless to say, the weight distribution is a bit different in a few spots. Tiny Toes caught on fast and even tried a few tricks! Each time we circled the rink, I'd try to keep her away from the wall little by little. The last time around, she let go of me and the wall and subsequently fell flat on her back, splat! -- that was the end of that. Then Little Man wanted a turn. By this time, I had taken Tiny Toes around the rink about a half dozen times working hard to keep us both on our feet and my arms were like strings of spaghetti. Little Man only made it around about an 1/8 of the rink when he was done. Both kids sat with Big D while I relived old days and skated around for a few minutes (I really missed my old disco music though). On my last time around I started to wibbble and wobble; forward, backward, forward, backward... then, just when I thought I had my balance back, I fell flat on my rear. BAM! The falling felt as if it were in slow motion and that smack is ALWAYS harder than you think it will be. At that moment, I was hoping for a trap door to just open immediately underneath me to swallow me up and relieve me of my misery -- no such luck. I got up and made my way off the rink. We played another round of air hockey and then we were all done. Today I have a bruised hand to show for the night and I'm proud to report that I think my ego is on the mend.



