Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Our own little 5th grade camp

Last year, our neighbor, who is a year older than Tiny Toes didn't go to fifth grade camp. Honestly I thought her parents (her dad was our bishop) were being extreme and unfair. Then the drama of being new in 4th grade unfolded for us and a thought grew like a seed in my heart -- don't do 5th grade camp. Our church leaders have suggested that there is just no reason kids need to have sleepovers. We have been pretty good at following that advice since we'd rather be safe than sorry. Anyway, I started to think we'd opt out of fifth grade camp and Big Daddy and Tiny Toes were with me. The more I thought about the large parent/teacher chaperone ratio to student I just couldn't send my baby off for that long without us.

When I was in high school I travelled every summer with a district orchestra and those memories are priceless to me. I hope Tiny Toes is able to have some fabulous trips as she gets older like those, but until then, I'm not sharing her.

So here we are -- the campers left Monday and are coming home today. Tiny toes and I have had fun hiking around, making muffins, playing our drawing game back and forth on our apple devices, taking walks and just being together. I've watched the pictures from camp go up on the school Facebook page and although it looks like fun, we know we did the right thing -- for us, for now.

Here are some highlights...