Thursday, January 26, 2012

Discrimination Welcome Here

I think one of my favorite characteristics of blogging is the fun we have with word play.  What came to your mind when you read the title?  Probably racial discrimination?  What do I think of when I first see that word discrimination?  Why I think of my old Sprague Dawley Albino Rats from college days.  Discrimination is a form of learning.  Teach the slightly dehydrated red eyed little rat to discriminate and only press a lever for a sip of water when the tone sounds and ...ta da, you have discrimination.  Because the reinforcement is so powerful, if you stop the tone, you also stop the behavior.  So where am I going with all this?  My theme for 2012 is to discriminate. 

In our lives we have literally thousands of "levers" to choose from all of which offer a drop of some consequence or another -- positive or negative.  My "drop" from facebook was less and less nourishing so I cleaned house a little, unsubscribed a little more and voila -- after a a little discrimination, I'm comfortable with it again. 

Time is certainly the biggest factor for all of us.  What do I spend my time on?  Who do I spend my time with? or who do I not spend time with? What am I eating? or what am I not eating?  How am I keeping my body healthy?  or how am I not?  What am I learning?  or what am I not?  What am I reading? or what am I not?  What am I watching? or what am I not? These are some of the many questions I've been asking myself for the last several weeks.  There's plenty more deliberation where that came from, too.  I hope that somehow I'm bettering my family for this and not only myself.  But the truth is, I see changes already.  Or rather -- I feel changes already.  I hope it continues...  

When we put God first, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives.
-Ezra Taft Benson