I had to read this. Usually I am not at all interested in super hyped titles (see twilight, etc...), but I had to check this out for myself. My goodness it has garnered so much press -- and mostly negative at that. I was hoping as I read I'd see the hyperbole in between the lines, but sadly, I think she may have even toned it down a bit for the book. Here's what I learned for myself:
1. I need to expect more from my children -- they wont disappoint me.
2. I need to take a ...moreI had to read this. Usually I am not at all interested in super hyped titles (see twilight, etc...), but I had to check this out for myself. My goodness it has garnered so much press -- and mostly negative at that. I was hoping as I read I'd see the hyperbole in between the lines, but sadly, I think she may have even toned it down a bit for the book. Here's what I learned for myself:
1. I need to expect more from my children -- they wont disappoint me.
2. I need to take a greater interest in their activities/hobbies (seriously impressive how much she knew about violin technique, etc...)
3. I need to make sure my kids know how much I love them for who they are and not what they are or what they can do -- or what they do for me.
As I read the book, I have to admit, I'm pretty sure if Amy Chua and I met up in real life I wouldn't care for her, but I did learn from the book and I'm glad I read it.