Some notes on Little Man & Tiny Toes for family members west of the 100th meridian and beloved friends.
Saturday, June 26, 2010
The Super 8!
During my last parent teacher conference for Tiny Toes, her teacher suggested that at this age, she should be reading about 45 minutes each day. Tiny Toes is a good little reader; however, she is very social and isn't super motivated reading quietly to herself. So, I got the idea to start up a book club for the summer. We meet weekly, discuss the book and then I turn them loose for a play date. This last week was the first week we met and discussed a book (last week was a trial run since not everyone had had a chance to complete the reading assignment -- namely us). The book was Freckle Juice. We made Freckle Juice (which made some of the girls gag, but honestly smelled suspiciously like a mayo, mustard cream sauce my mother makes for yummy ham sandwiches). For a discussion, we put questions about the book into a basket and passed it around. I was really heartened at the discussion from the girls. You know, sometimes it is hard to see your babies getting older, except during times like this when you are amazed at all the knowledge their little minds have soaked up over the few short years they've been alive. I think I had the most fun!