Saturday, November 8, 2008

Happy Birthday to Tracie (ON THE 9TH!!)!

(WARNING: One scanner was harmed and subsequently died in the making of this post.)

A History of Synchronicity

It was either 1992 or 1993 (I think the latter), Tracie and I ended up in the same sorority at the U of U. I had been in for a year, I think (see how scary old age is) and Tracie was super quiet. One meeting we were supposed to share things we were interested in and Tracie talked about tennis, her current book about overcoming shyness and getting ready to serve a mission (Tracie, correct me if I'm wrong about that... that particular time all runs together for me). I was shocked to learn she was planning a mission. I was fighting the promptings to go on a mission and was kind of excited she was thinking about it. I had waited to go and all my girlfriends were just coming back from missions and/or just getting married.

Fast forward to the fall of 1994; mission papers were submitted and Tracie and I had become good friends having lots of fun running around in a little pack chalking driveways of old boyfriends (hurriedly chalking "boy am I blind" rather than "boy was I blind"), eating Turkey sandwiches and cheese fries at Training Table and attending LDSSA functions, etc...

Tracie's mission call arrived and she was called to the Morristown New Jersey Mission. A few weeks later, my call came and sure enough, I was called to the same mission. Tracie left a couple of weeks before I did, but she was still in the MTC when I arrived and we had fun ditching our comps (don't worry, we didn't leave the building) and goofing off.

Tracie gifted me this book for my birthday that year... how fitting, I've cherished it ever since.


If I have any pictures of this time before our missions, they are in storage... but I don't remember having a camera (and really using it) until I arrived in the MTC. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any pictures of us at the MTC -- I guess we were still in shock with what we were about to do for the next 18 months that there were no silly pics taken.

In New Jersey, I spent most of my time in the office since the President liked my "office skills" and in reality, I probably would have gone AWOL to New York to live it up like Elder Whatsus. This long term stay around the office meant I got to see (and talk to) Tracie more than I otherwise would have. We were even in a "trio" a few times. Just like everyone else, we had struggles on our mission and I know her presence kept me sane (wait, maybe I was a little insane at times)... ok, so her presence kept me mostly sane, moderately coherent, and almost rational more often than not. There's not doubt in my mind that there was a promise made a very, very long time ago that she would be my friend, especially during that time.


















Tracie always does things a little before I do (except being born), again, I think she promised to go first on just about everything so I wouldn't completely freak out about life. Tracie got home first, dated someone from the mission first, dumped the NJMMRM first, and then was there to welcome me home. She got over the dating of NJMMRMs thing before I did and was there to roll her eyes and remind me of how much better I could do before I left NJMM folks in the past where they belonged.

We made lots of big decisions in the newly opened Bountiful Temple together in the summer of 1996 and at the end of the summer I was leaving for school. That fall Tracie was busy being courted by cute Tyson and I was busy having a crush on my history professor (that's right, Big D). One time I was at school in my apartment when I got a call (this is before Caller ID was everywhere) from a man identifying himself as a police officer who had found a teenager driving my little Honda around SLC. The teenager said he was my little brother -- I don't have a brother... my heart jumped into my throat! ... then I found out it was Tyson. Good one, guys.

Pretty soon Tracie got married and I followed within a year. On the 24th of July in 1999, I got to hold Bailey and see Tracie as a mom. In May of 2001 Tracie drove to Logan when Big D and I were sealed in the Temple. I had Tiny Toes in 2002 after I finished school. Naturally we now both had girls followed by both having boys in 2004. We didn't see each other much when we both lived in SLC, but no matter how much time passed and our lives progressed, we could pick right up from where we left off.

We even had the same skirts from EB on our mission. We both love Sting (we even left the husbands home one year and saw Sting together) and The Police. Every time we talk, we find out something more we have in common and laugh when we discover it. We even had the same answering machine for many years without knowing it. We seem to be of one mind no matter the distance or current circumstances.

Tracie is the best friend every girl dreams of. She is patient, kind, honest (those eye rolls say it all), doesn't have a mean bone in her body and is as loyal as the day is long. She masters just about anything I've ever seen her try. In addition, she is supportive and enthusiastic.

I wish we lived closer, but we really do enjoy the time we spend together when I'm in town and enjoy keeping updated on each other through our blogs. Last summer we went to This Is The Place State Park and it was one of the most enjoyable things I've done in a long time, partly because it is a fun place, but mostly because we were enjoying it together and watching our kids enjoy it, too. I could never adequately describe how much I appreciate Tracie, although remembering her birthday, for once, might help!

Happy Birthday, Tracie! I'm glad we got here together, too!! I love you!