Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Have you hugged your father today?

My dad was born 75 years ago today and died almost 25 years ago (June 1). I was eleven the last time I saw my dad, the last time I hugged him, the last time I heard him tell me I was his best friend while we ate homemade popcorn and watched football (go Broncos!). It's been more than 25 years since I went camping with him in the beautiful Uintah Mountains, swung on the swing he always made for us, and smelled the fresh caught fish grilling on the fire, listened to mystery theatre in the dark of the forest on KSL and sung "You Are My Sunshine" and "Hi Ho, Anybody Home" around a roaring fire as it burned my cheeks. I have wonderful memories of my Dad, and not so good ones as well. My Dad was a troubled man which was borne out of a mostly tragic childhood, but he was my Dad and I'll never forget what he taught me in the short time I knew him. I wonder what he is doing today? I know he's working hard whatever he is doing. He is far beyond the realm of our measures of time: birthdays, anniversaries, and certainly mortal grief and irritations. There is no doubt in my mind that he helped prepare the spirits of my little children to come to earth and there is no doubt he will be one of the first to welcome us back home to Heaven someday. So, I live my life with a little more dedication today, a little more love, a little more appreciation for what I can do with this chubby old body while I have it. I invite you to do the same and while you're at it, call your dad and tell him you love him.